The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, May 25, 2017

August 14 - 17, 1963



Wednesday, August 14, 1963

Thunder showers in morning. Ended about noon and it got windy and cloudy. Betty, Mike and Carmen came home about 1 AM this morning. Betty, Mike and I to Portland today. Blanche came over here and babysat. Lorraine taken by ambulance to Maine Medical Center to have her baby. Only 6 1/2 months. We hope it will be all right. Betty and Mike to drive-in alone. They are so happy. I hope it lasts.



Thursday, August 15, 1963

Betty, Mike and I to Portland. Mike had some errands to take care of before he has to go back. Blanche took care of Carmen. Mama over to Aunt Ava’s. Fern up here, we had a big steak cookout.



Friday, August 16, 1963

A nice day. Betty and Mike didn’t get up till very late. Very happy. I washed. Made pie, etc. etc. Holly here for afternoon. Betty and Mike helped Chet some.





Saturday, August 17, 1963

Billie gone to Skowhegan Fair with the Boyntons. He left about 6 AM. Nice and sunny in a.m., clouded in p.m. I washed, churned, done a little cooking. Bill, Carmen and I to town. Betty, Mike and Carmen out riding today. Only one more day for him. Fern up for supper.

 





No comments:

Post a Comment