The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

August 6 - 9, 1963



Tuesday, August 6, 1963

A nice day. I made pie and donuts. I done up regular work and ironed after supper. Kids over to beach at North Bridgton. Betty and Mike up to Chet’s to help hay. Billie up after supper. All went to the drive-in after supper. Milan and folks came from Fryeburg. Alice, Betty’s sister came with them. They took her to Portland and Norma and Susan to Raymond to some friends of Milan and Betty’s. Betty and Mike on the hot side. Betty didn’t want him with her this p.m.



Wednesday, August 7, 1963 Permanent, Mike and Betty

Fair in a.m., clouded in p.m. I cleaned up the downstairs. Churned, made a custard pie. Cooked a chicken. In p.m. I got my hair done at June’s, it looks so nice. Mama gave me $10 for my birthday. Betty Smith got my supper. Kids to beach and to town at night.


 

Thursday, August 8, 1963

A nice day. I washed. Susan and Norma over to beach in p.m. In evening they went to town. Betty and Mike, Bill and I went to the Bridgton Drive and Blanche went too. Holden’s had car over there to the garage to be fixed.



Friday, August 9, 1963

Well, I churned and cooked. Kids didn’t do too much. Norma and Susan over to the beach, also Betty, Mike, Betty Smith. McCarron’s got to Ferns last night about 10:30. They called here in p.m. Kids all took off for town and around tonight. Penny went with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment