The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

June 14 - 17, 1963



Friday, June 14, 1963

Esther and Billie, Dana and Penny left for home about 7 AM. It was a nice beautiful day. I did a big wash. Betty, Carmen, Susan and I went to town and then to the IGA store in North Windham shopping. $29. Wow. After supper Bill and I finished setting plants out. Also Bill, Betty and I with Carmen went down to Jean’s.



Saturday, June 15, 1963

Partly cloudy and fair. I worked as usual. Churned, cooked. Betty didn’t feel too good. Susan enjoying herself, watched TV. Bill got his garden rotor tiller. It was a Father’s Day gift from Billie.



Sunday, June 16, 1963

Partly cloudy. I done up the work, mowed some lawn. Susan, Betty and I went up and called at Linscott’s. Kennie, Dot here and Aunt Ava. Billie began haying today, working for Lawrence. Susan and Betty called at Rowena’s tonight.



Monday, June 17, 1963

A beautiful day. I did another big wash. Clothes dried very good. We had a small shower. Bessie, Rowena and Robin (Rowena’s baby) came up. Betty and Carmen down there and Betty and Rowena wheels their babies up town. I did a walloping big ironing and Betty and Susan helped too. Ernest Holden took the car over and traded it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment