The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

July 9 - 12, 1963



Tuesday, July 9, 1963

After a heavy rain last night it cleared off and was a nice cool day. I washed today. We got ready, piled into the car and took off for Zayres. Susan, Norma, Blanche, Betty, Carmen and I. Susan got her a new bathing suit. Betty and Norma each got a new purse or pocket book. Billie not feeling very good, is strapped up. Pig got hurt.



Wednesday, July 10, 1963

No letter from Mike. Why why why???? No word about that transfer. A fair day. I have been busy, ironed, done up the housework, shelled peas. Been busy as usual. I picked peas. Kids went swimming over to North Bridgton.



Thursday, July 11, 1963

No letter today. When is he going to write. Kids went to Norway to order pictures. Made her payment over there. They went swimming after supper. Bill had to work after supper. Billie about the same. Dawn and Leasia called in p.m. Billie not very good yet.



Friday, July 12, 1963

Much warmer today. I churned, cleaned up the whole house. In p.m. went over to Harrison and Waterford. Betty, Norma, Susan, Carmen and I. In evening we went to town. Had nice talk with Dorothea last night. Poor kid, she is so lonesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment