The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, April 27, 2017

April 23 - 26, 1963



Tuesday, April 23, 1963

A cloudy, dark, dreary rainy and stormy day. I ironed, done up the work. Made a banana cake. Blanche and Lori called.



Wednesday, April 24, 1963

Sun shining early this morning. Clouded up so we had some cloudy skies. Ground has about two or 3 inches of snow. Betty and I up early to get the car. We had to go over to the garage, Holden Brothers, to have some work done on the car. Blanche and Lori came over and stayed. Nice letter from Mike.



Thursday, April 25, 1963

Another cold mostly cloudy day. I didn’t get any cleaning done today. Billie didn’t work in a.m. Dot and Lorraine called in a.m.



Friday, April 26, 1963

A little more sunshine still on the cold side. I started cleaning the shed chambers. Betty and Carmen to Norway with Julie Conant. In evening Bill and I to town. Betty stayed home, washed the dishes and got ready to go to Auburn for Doreen and Larry. Julie went with her. They all came back here and played poker.

No comments:

Post a Comment