The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, April 22, 2017

April 2 - 5, 1963 Carmen 2 Months Old



Tuesday, April 2, 1963

A very nice day. I cooked and ironed, shampooed my hair. Betty down town, paid rest of her glasses. She called the Ferns. Baby good all day. In evening I got my permanent. I got it at Bessie’s.



Wednesday, April 3, 1963

A cloudy, dreary day. I hate it. A lot of more men got fired at Dielectic. I washed my windows in the kitchen, put the curtains out.



Thursday, April 4, 1963

A big layoff at Dielectic. Betty up early and got the car. We went to town, sending money orders. Betty bought some flour and other things. We came home, Betty took the TV over to Norway. It was fixed and works good now. In evening she and I called at Ferns. Snow is going.



Friday, April 5, 1963

Awful wind. Carmen is two months old today. Very cold and windy all day. I cleaned up part of the house. In evening Betty and I to town buying groceries and paying bills. A bunch of men arrested on moral charges down here last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment