The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

October 6 - 9, 1962


I think Nanny was trying to say she almost fell asleep writing in her diary.



Saturday, October 6, 1962

Rain Rain Rain. We are having heavy rain and wind because of the Hurricane Daisy. Bill worked on Betty’s chest of draws. Call from Dorothea. They’re coming next Tuesday. Betty’s crib was delivered today, very pretty. We are having high winds and heavy winds.



Sunday, October 7, 1962

Rain rain and more rain. I done up the work. I was almost asleep late at night. I done up my work, cleaned up the kitchen. Kennie, Dot, Bob and Blanche called.






Monday, October 8, 1962

Fair. Kind of warm. We washed. Clothes dried fair. In p.m. Betty and I cleaned all of the upstairs. In evening I babysit at Mrs. Hansens. Betty had a letter from her Mike. In evening Betty did all the ironing, curtains and all.



Tuesday, October 9, 1962

Rain. A mean miserable day, rain rain and rain. Regardless, we cleaned up the downstairs. Washed windows and floors. I cooked. Betty and Blanche to Norway. Betty got me a new canister set. Very pretty. She got herself some maternity clothes. Blanche made two cakes over here, gave us one. In evening she came over to wait with us for the Adair family. Betty, she and I tacked some crib blankets. No Adairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment