The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

May 8 - 11, 1974


Wednesday, May 8, 1974

A partly clearing cloudy day. I went down to Betty’s. We cleaned her back porch and utility room. Bill and I went down to Gorham. He ordered the siding for the barn. Billie has a bad leg, it is swollen awfully.



Thursday, May 9, 1974 BETTY ALL DONE HOUSECLEANING

Very cold and an East wind. Partly cloudy most of the day. I was down to Betty’s early. We cleaned the kitchen and Pa’s apartment. Bill started laying his blocks today for the barn. Zak to school. Billie down to Betty’s before supper, he fed the chicks. Carmen rode Ebony. Kim and Zak played.



Friday, May 10, 1974

A very heavy rain. Betty, Zak and I went to Dorothea’s. She went with us and we went shopping. I did quite a bit. It rained awful hard all day. Dorothea was very glad to see us.



Saturday, May 11, 1974

Partly cloudy and some sunshine, on the cold side in the a.m. but it warmed up in PM. Bill put some more blocks on the barn foundation. Walt helped in PM and Betty. Billie gone with Lawrence. I done up regular work, went to town early. Came home, made bread and washed. I ironed, mended, got supper. I washed windows in living room after supper. Cleaned the cupboard by the washing machine also after supper. Lloyd called after supper also. Ilan had a tractor come, a homemade affair.

No comments:

Post a Comment