The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, March 8, 2020

April 6 - 8, 1974 Kim's Birthday Party


Saturday, April 6, 1974
No rain or snow, but cloudy all day and on the cool damp side. I have been very busy all day. I done regular work, washed windows, floors, dusted, cooked, went to town. Bill and Billie and Walt took the birdhouse down. Lloyd, Zak, Walt and Ilan called also Betty dropped in a minute. Bill watched his first ballgame this p.m. Billie cleaned up the garage, did some raking.



Sunday, April 7, 1970 Kim’s DAY

A partly cloudy day. I got my work done up early. Did a dite of washing. I got ready and went to Betty’s. Esther was there also Dorothea, Fern and I. We all helped to make the Italian sandwiches for the party. Dorothea made a beautiful cake. Dorothea, Dave, Fern, Lloyd, Esther, Cliff, Bill, Billie and I with the Horton family celebrated Kim’s eighth birthday. She will be 8 on April 12. She was very pleased with all her nice gifts. Billie went with Lawrence today down to York and Kennebunk.


Feeding Bramble


Eating Italian Sandwiches







Aunt Esther, Aunt Dorothea and Nanny



Cake made by Aunt Dorothea

David and Bramble in conversation



Monday, April 8, 1974

A fair day, but very cold. A raw wind. I did a big wash. Bill and I went down to Dorothea’s, took some eggs down. Dawn came up to Betty’s and got her hens and took home. I have not been down to Betty’s today.

No comments:

Post a Comment