The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, March 16, 2020

May 5 - 7, 1974


Sunday, May 5, 1974 Bred cow, Bill planted peas

A beautiful day after the cold wind diminished at around 12 noon. I done regular work, took bath, down to Betty’s to see the piglet. They turned the cows out and found the cow was ready to be bred. So Billie took her down to Lawrence’s. Then brought them up and put them into pasture. They put Walt’s heifer out too. They have a black Angus this year. Delores a dite better and got up. She is in critical condition as far as strength goes, very weak. Kids to S School. Billie hurt his leg again today. I did a dite of cooking. I washed this evening.



Monday, May 6, 1974 Cemented the barn floor

Clear, cloudy and very cold and windy. I hung out my clothes last night and they dried early this morning. I went down to Betty’s. We got ready and done the sitting room. It looked very nice after it was all cleaned and the new rug down. We came up here when they came to pour the cement. They got here at 10 AM. And did a good job getting it smoothed off. In evening Esther called. Betty and I went up to see Delores. Kim up here after school and for supper.


Zak and Uncle Lloyd supervising



Tuesday, May 7, 1974

It rained very hard all day. It began last night in the night. I worked at Betty’s cleaning her dining room. Betty down to Sandra Smith’s with Bonnie for a chat. It is weekly. In p.m. she and Dawn went to Ames up to New Hampshire and Zak. The cement is hard today.


No comments:

Post a Comment