The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, March 6, 2020

March 31 - April 2, 1974


Sunday, March 31, 1974 Zak sick

A miserable day. I done regular work. Bath, breakfast, housework. I looked at papers, cooked dinner. Down to Betty’s to babysit for a couple hours. Zak still very sick. Carmen to a birthday party. Kim up here all day and for supper.



This month not as springlike as January and February..



Monday, April 1, 1974

It was cloudy when we got up. I got ready, went down to Betty’s. We got ready and went to Westbrook to grocery shop. Called at Dorothea’s. Zak stayed there. We got home a little after 2 PM. It cleared and was a nice spring day. Zak better.



Tuesday, April 2, 1974

Done up regular work. Down to Betty’s for a little while. She took Zak to school. He is better. Betty down to visit with her friends, “The Coffee Gab Session.” I cooked a chicken, made a cake, done some odds and end jobs. Down to Betty’s in p.m. to help her. Zak up here for supper. It rained very hard in late p.m. I done my wash after supper to have it ready to hang out early in morning.

Zak - doing what and wearing what - who knows!


No comments:

Post a Comment