The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, March 14, 2020

April 28 - 30, 1974


Sunday, April 28, 1978 Carmen and Kimberly

A pretty good day. I done regular work. Washed and done some cleaning up etc. Billie worked down to Walt’s. Hortons came up. Zak stayed here all night. I did all my silverware. Today Carmen and Kimberly walked for the walk-a-thon for the March of Dimes.





Monday, April 29, 1974

 Partly cloudy. I went down to Betty’s. We went to Norway in a.m. and in p.m. we cleaned cupboards, stove, ironed and Betty did the refrigerator after supper. In evening Esther came over. Kim is a little lame this morning from the 10 mile walk yesterday.



Tuesday, April 30, 1974 barn, Tatum

 A mostly sunny day. Very warm today. They came and bulldozed for the barn. I went down to Betty’s early this morning. She had to have Tatum over to the vets at 8 o’clock. I came home. I did a big wash. Made two pies and did some mending. Dawn down to Betty’s. We found some of the chicks pecking one another. Tonight Betty, Carmen and I and we picked up Dorothea went to Portland City Auditorium to see Ann Landers, a Portland Press Herald writer. She made a speech. Also there we saw Don McWilliams of Portland’s TV station, WCSH, sports newscaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment