The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, March 12, 2020

April 21 - 24, 1974 Jeff has a 1968 Ford


Sunday, April 21, 1974 Gordon Brill and Alton Bean hauled the rafters for the barn this p.m.

A very nice mild day. I did all my washing, got them in and ironed. Made a cake, cooked a pot roast for supper. Billie and Walt hauled out most of the dressing. Bill fixed the door at Lloyd’s and then helped with the dressing. Betty and kids (all three) took turns driving the tractor. This has been a very warm day, up in the 60s. Brill and Bean hauled some of the lumber for the new barn. Billie done some raking today or late p.m.



Monday, April 22, 1974

A fair day but very hot, 75 to 80°. In a.m. Betty and I and Zak went to Windham to get the fence posts. In p.m. we began cleaning up alongside of the road. It has been very hot today. Kids came home and put their shorts on.



Tuesday, April 23, 1974 Jeff has a 1968 Ford

A partly cloudy day, some rain showers. It was a little warmer. I washed and cleaned my kitchen and bathroom ceilings. I’m so glad to get them done. Bill didn’t do anything. Betty entertained her coffee friends. Also in p.m. went to Westbrook and got Esther. She came home from Joy’s. Jeff has a new car 1968 Ford.



Wednesday, April 24, 1974

Snow on the ground this morning, it has been a very nasty day. Snow, rain and not too warm. Bill and I worked at Betty’s all day papering and painting the den. Mary Anne called there today. Walt home early, one course  completed of his real estate course. I went down to Fern’s and helped to clean her cellarway and cellar. Esther helped too.

No comments:

Post a Comment