The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, March 21, 2020

May 22 - 25, 1974


Wednesday, May 22, 1974 I finished my housecleaning

Mostly cloudy today. I cleaned the living room. Betty and Holly were here. Lloyd came up while Bill worked on the barn. Also Stan called. Betty helped Bill today. We had dandelion greens tonight and they were delicious. Also had a turkey pie. I made a cake today. Christie didn’t act too good today. Just laid around outside a little.



Thursday, May 23, 1974

A very miserable day. I done a lot of odds and end jobs. In p.m. Betty and I went to town shopping. The sheathing came today, also the windows from Phinney Lumber Co of Gorham, for the barn. In evening went down to Ferns and she gave me a little old pitcher. Cliff’s brother and family called to see him for a little while today. Christie seemed brighter and better today.



Friday, May 24, 1974

Another miserable day. I went down to Betty’s, we cleaned her barns. They looked very nice. Bill didn’t do anything on the barn. He went down to Helen Jones’s and helped to get the shutters off. Bill got a copy of the WILL of Jean’s today. Christie not very good, hasn’t eaten a thing.



Saturday, May 25, 1974 Christie

Another miserable day. I done regular work, baked white California pea beans, made rolls, bread, a blueberry pie and a chocolate cake. Walt, Betty, Carmen and Lawrence called, also Lloyd. Billie went with Lawrence because they couldn’t do any work on the barn. Today Christie has been feeling very bad. Hasn’t eaten a thing but drank a lot of water. She is weak and doesn’t get up much. We are very concerned about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment