The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, March 20, 2020

May 18 - 21, 1974


Saturday, May 18, 1974

A very nice day but windy. I washed, cleaned the cellar and bedroom. I got a lot of other work done. Lloyd up today. Bill and Billie worked on the barn and then planted the garden. Kim up here today.






Sunday, May 19, 1974 Black

Another windy day, very cold. I cleaned the breezeway. I washed. Fern, Lloyd called at Betty’s and then here. Kim up today. Carmen and Zenya rode the horses. Betty mowed and trimmed down beside the road. Billie helped her. Betty found Black under her porch. He had got run into and got hurt very bad. They took him to the doctors in Norway. Not much hope.



Monday, May 20, 1974 Christie

This morning we took Christie to the hospital again. For the past several days she has been bleeding at the nose quite bad. They gave her medication to put her to sleep and took x-rays, examined her etc. Dr. Gauger said it was a bad case of tonsillitis. She is staying over there tonight. Betty brought her black cat “BLACKNESS ”home in a box this morning. She buried her. In p.m. Betty helped me and we cleaned my bedroom. She worked here till 5 PM. It has been a very windy day and I did a big wash.



Tuesday, May 21, 1974 CHRISTIE CAME HOME, -CARMEN -

Partly cloudy. Today I cleaned Billie’s room and in p.m. Esther and Betty helped to finish it and we did the blue bathroom. Also as soon as lunch we went over and got Christie. She is a dite better, but not too active. She was glad to get home. In evening I did my desk draws. Betty, Walt and Zak called. Bill did some bracing on the barn today. I picked some dandelion greens tonight. At 4 PM Betty, Kim and I went down to the junior high school for Girl Scout ceremonies. Carmen won a lot of badges and received her plate. They all did. Very nice and we were very proud of her. Kim will be a scout next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment