The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

May 12 - 14, 1974


Sunday, May 12, 1974 Walt planted corn etc., BINGO

A very miserable day. It rained hard all day. Bill worked on the cement foundation. It rained. I cleaned Billie’s bureau draws and radiator. Dorothea came up and brought me up a very pretty plant and I got a nice card from her. $10 from Billie, a dress and a beautiful dress from Betty’s family and a card. Dorothea gave me two dresses also. She took home all my new dresses home to shorten them. Betty, Walt and children called. They sold Bingo to the Geneseo’s today.



Monday, May 13, 1974 CHRISTIE TO THE DOCTORS

It cleared this morning but it was more or less cloudy. I washed, cleaned some radiators. I went down to Betty’s in a.m. and helped her. Came home and got ready and went to Norway to the vets with Christie. Her bladder condition is bad. Dr. Gauger gave me some tablets and a case of food for her. She is to go on a strict diet. Betty took me over then we came back and cleaned rest of her barn. Lloyd up today. Betty moved the pig up to the other barn.



Tuesday, May 14, 1974

A pretty good day. Lloyd up to watch Bill work on the barn. I went down to Betty’s in early a.m. until Zak went to school. Betty had the gab session at her house today. I washed. I did rest of the radiators etc. Esther here in evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment