The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, March 19, 2020

May 15 - 17, 1974


Wednesday, May 15, 1974 HOT, cleaned kitchen

This is been a very hot and windy day. I washed. Esther came over. We cleaned the kitchen. I did my ironing at night. Today they put up the first frame of rafters on the barn. Dawn up, she and Betty took up the trees and took them down to Dawn’s and set them out. Also Dawn took her chicks home. Kim up here after school and for supper. Betty, Zak and Carmen ate supper here too. Walt stayed down for school. Carmen up to New Hampshire with the Scouts for swimming. I had a delicious turkey supper.






Thursday, May 16, 1974

Partly cloudy. Betty here most of the day. We cleaned kitchen cupboards. We went to town. Zak went to school. Today Betty registered Zak for kindergarten school for next year. Esther called this evening while Cliff went to the Scout’s. Lloyd and Fern called in PM. Zak has made great progress and improved a lot at Humpty Dumpty school this year.



Friday, May 17, 1974

A nice day but windy. I cleaned cupboards and closets. Mr. Ruse called to see Bill. Betty helped me with the closets etc. She and I went to town. Carmen down to Kim’s house after supper. Carmen brought home a very high honorable paper from school. She is smart. Kim is too.


No comments:

Post a Comment