The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, September 6, 2019

May 24 - 27, 1972


Wednesday, May 24, 1972

Partly cloudy and cool winds. It cleared off and came off. I done up my work. Down to Betty’s. Esther, Betty and I cleaned the dining room, kitchen, back porch and utility room at Betty’s. Her house looks so very nice. Bill worked at Jean’s.



Thursday, May 25, 1972

I got up early, got my work done. Down to Betty’s, helped her and she painted her kitchen floor, border in dining room. Also she cleaned Pa’s apartment. I had Zak and Kim til she went to school. I washed. They were all up here for supper. Bill worked at Jean’s.




Friday, May 26, 1972 Kim to clinic, $50 Jean

I done up regular work, down to Betty’s and got Zak. She took Kimmy to the Maine Medical Center to the clinic for a checkup. She is fine. She has to go back in three months for a thorough examination. I had Zak, he was very good. Carmen up here for supper. Betty took me to town to do a little shopping. Bill worked at Jean’s. Betty sold clocks $30 Bill’s.



Saturday, May 27, 1972 Bill worked at Jean

Warmer today. I did regular work. Washed and waxed kitchen floor, washed garage windows and doors. In p.m. we washed and cleaned Billie’s car. Kids up here twice today. Walt began on the floor up over Pa’s apartments. Bill worked at Jean’s. Billie went up to Chet’s and got some raspberries and set them out. Es and Cliff and Billie called in evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment