The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, September 15, 2019

June 26 - 29, 1972


Monday, June 26, 1972 Bill worked at Jean’s

Raining hard again this morning. Bill worked at Jean’s. It cleared during late part of forenoon. Esther over here. She got a phone call from Tom. Billie home. It cleared for about five or six hours today. Betty, Esther, kids and I to Giants at Windham today. Kim still has a bad cold.



Tuesday, June 27, 1972 First real nice and mostly sunny day we have had for a month

It cleared off today and was sunny most of the day. It got quite warm. I done up my work. Betty, Zak and Kim up for breakfast. Then we got ready and went to Lovell to see Mrs. Allen about braiding a rug for Betty’s living room. A real nice day, it seems so good. Took Carmen for her first swimming lesson for the year. Kimmy has a cold and can’t go.



Wednesday, June 28, 1972 A nice day, picked 8 quart of strawberries today, $50

Today the fog lifted and came off clear and hot. I washed and ironed, done up my work. Carmen came up, had breakfast with me on the back porch. Sunny and nice out there. We went down to Betty’s after we got the work done up. Betty mowed lawns. We took the kids swimming. Kimmy still not able to go. She had another chill at suppertime. They put her to bed. Bill worked at Jean’s again today, she paid him $50. Vince mowed the hay today at Betty and Walt’s.



Thursday, June 29, 1972 Eye examination, foggy in early a.m. cleared and a nice hot day

Bill worked at Jean’s. Today I had my eyes tested. I was down to Betty’s, she took Kimmy to the Dr. Richards. She isn’t at all good. Cold or something. Mary Ann Weston called at Betty’s today to see the kids. Betty took me to town. In evening I called at Ferns. Foggy this morning then cleared and a nice hot day.




No comments:

Post a Comment