The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

July 8 - 11, 1972 Jeff Goes to Michigan


Saturday, July 8, 1972 JEFF LEFT FOR MICHIGAN TO SEE HIS FATHER

A nice day. Up early, got ready to go to Portland Jet Airport to see Jeffrey off for Michigan to make a long visit with his father. Betty, kids and I went to Dorothea’s. We picked them up and got to the airport at about 10:20. At 11:45 EDT he left, he looked very nice in his new dark blue sports jacket. Nice looking young man. Hope he will always be as good. Jean paid Bill $50



Sunday, July 9, 1972

A nice day. Been thinking of Jeff today. Zak don’t feel too good today. Walt sick too. In p.m. he felt better.



Monday, July 10, 1972

A pretty good day. I done my washing, clothes dried good. I went to town. Bill not working.



Tuesday, July 11, 1972 HOT

I got my work done. Betty called, I went to Portland with her. We got Dorothea a SNOWBALL bush today. Betty did some shopping. Came home, Kimmy and Carmen were here. Carmen down for her swimming lessons today. Bill washed  LIVING room rug. Painted walk way in breezeway. Done some odds and end jobs. Not working. I ironed early this morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment