The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, September 17, 2019

July 4 - 7, 1972 4th of July on the Songo River Queen











Tuesday, July 4, 1972 A fair day

After a mess of rain and miserable weather yesterday today dawned fair and good. I got up, done up my regular work. Got ready, went to the parade at the center to see it all. I went with Yates, Demings and Hortons. A very nice Fourth of July parade. Came home, had a fourth of July dinner. Salmon, peas etc. Got ready to go with Betty’s folks, Deming’s and the Yate’s, also Dorothea and Jeff down the Songo River Queen. Had a nice time and all had their lunch. Came home in evening. Went to the fireworks in evening. Kimmy got to see some of her Sesame Street friends. Had a very nice day.



Wednesday, July 5, 1972 First mess of Swiss chard, Bill didn’t work

An all day cloudy one. I done regular work. Picked strawberries and Swiss chard. Zak up in a.m., Kim up in PM. All three here for supper. Betty down to meet Walt and they went to a movie. I went down there after supper to stay till they got home. Bill home all day. Didn’t work. Bridgton Police Department up to see Judd again tonight.



Thursday, July 6, 1972 Bill worked at Jean’s

Well it dawned fair and sunny this morning. A SURPRISE. I got right at it to do some washing I have been planning to do for a long time. Betty mowing lawns. Bill to work at Jean’s.



Friday, July 7, 1972 Bill worked

I done up my regular work. It was a nice day. I went to town


No comments:

Post a Comment