The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, September 19, 2019

July 12 - 15, 1972


Wednesday, July 12, 1972 VERY HOT

A very hot day. I washed, done housework. Bill fixed light switch on breezeway. Esther called in a.m. I got my hair set. Kimmy up. Carmen up early and down to Dorothea’s for a few days. Bill and I took Kimmy down for her swimming lessons. She was so pleased to go.



Thursday, July 13, 1972

I done up my work. Kind of cloudy in a.m. It cleared up and became very hot. Betty mowed lawns. I went down to babysit etc. Bill went down and done some painting at Betty’s. Betty and I took Kimmy down for swimming lessons. In p.m. Betty and kids to the dentist. Esther over in evening. Kimmy up here tonight. She sick to her stomach and threw up.



Friday, July 14, 1972

Today we went to Dorothea’s, Esther, Betty and I. It was a nice hot day. We took Zak. Kimmy stayed with Bill. She didn’t feel too good. Also Zak doesn’t feel good. We got the paper off Jeff’s bedroom. She is lame and don’t feel good. She went to the doctors. He called it sciatica. Carmen came home with us today. She has been down there for a couple days. Betty’s car broke down today when we was coming home. Luckily we was in Bridgton. Cliff came and got us. Bill and Walt went down and towed it home after supper.



Saturday, July 15, 1972 HOT Mama’s 92nd

A very hot day. Muggy. I washed, and done up housework. Made bread, baked beans, helped pick strawberries. Billie finished mowing lawns. Bill watched TV ballgames and took the kids fishing. We all went to Betty’s for supper which we ate outside. Bill slept down cellar tonight. Mama would have been 92 years today. We still miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment