The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

June 11 - 14, 1972


Sunday, June 11, 1972 Zak had bad cramps

Very cold and windy. The garden is growing good. A nice sunny day. I done up regular work. Bill cultivated. Billie did his mowing and trimming. I cooked a steak supper. Betty, Walt and kids on a picnic. Zak got bad cramps. Fern and Lloyd called.



Monday, June 12, 1972 Zak to Doctor

I was down to Betty’s, helped her do up her work. Billie and she put up the hen yard. I went to town. Betty took Zak to the doctors.  Carmen came home sick. Also Walt. So Kim came up here and stayed all night.



Tuesday, June 13, 1972 Bill worked for Gordon

A nice sunny day. I done up my regular work, got Kim off to school. Betty sick today. Zak up here today. I did a ironing and a washing.



Wednesday, June 14, 1972 Hot, Humid, Kim’s last day of school

Bill worked at Gordon’s. A nice hot day, on the humid side. I done up my work, went down to Betty’s. I helped her set out her dahlias. This was Kim’s last day of school. She passed to the first grade. Carmen had a girlfriend up after school. Esther and Cliff over in evening. They had Susan’s two boys today. Lloyd to doctor. He has improved with his leg but has got to watch it very close to see it doesn’t turn dark. If so he faces an operation. Kennard’s birthday.






No comments:

Post a Comment