The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, September 16, 2019

June 30 - July 3, 1972


Friday, June 30, 1972 KIM TO CLINIC

A cloudy dreary day. I took care of Zak while Betty took Kim to the clinic in Portland. Esther took me to town, shopping. I was down to Betty’s in most of p.m. Carmen went swimming on her bike today. Bill worked at Jean’s. They say Kim is all okay. I hope so.


 
Saturday, July 1, 1972 Cliff’s driveway

I baked beans. Done regular work. It rained and a miserable day. It did clear enough so Cliff got his driveway done. Bill and I went over to see it. It looks so nice.



Sunday, July 2, 1972 Jeff up tonight

This morning we woke up and the sun was shining. What a big surprise. I got up, took bath and done up regular work. Picked five boxes strawberries. Betty, Walt and kids for a ride. Dorothea came about 10:30. Esther’s folks came all to Betty’s. Fern and Lloyd. All flew around and got a very good Bar-B-Q chicken dinner. Salad, potato chips, etc. etc. Also had ice cream and birthday cake for Jeffrey Dennis Adair on his 14th birthday. All had a very good time and the weather was just beautiful. Lawrence and crew were haying. Kim’s cold better. Jeff stayed up all night. We was glad to have him. Billie mowed for Lawrence.













Monday, July 3, 1972 2.8 inches of rain

A cloudy showery day. I done up regular work and did a dite of washing. Billie, Jeffrey and I cleaned the cars. Bill took Carmen down for her swimming lessons. Cathy Smith went with her. Jeff went along for the ride. In late p.m. we had thundershowers with awful heavy downpour. We got 2.8 inches of rain. Betty, Walt took Kim and Zak to Storyland up in New Hampshire. Bill and I took Jeff home after supper. Bill and Billie didn’t work.



No comments:

Post a Comment