The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, September 25, 2019

August 4 - 7, 1972 Nanny's 62nd Birthday


Friday, August 4, 1972

Betty took me shopping. I done regular work. Billie started his vacation tonight. Bill took me to town before supper.



Saturday, August 5, 1972

Walt and Betty started working upstairs today in their bedrooms. I baked beans, done up regular work. Bill and Billie mowed lawns.



Sunday, August 6, 1972

Today I got a supper and had the Horton’s up. Also Dorothea came. I made a macaroni and cheese, cukes, string beans, cold cuts, lemon pie. Dorothea brought up a birthday cake to honor me on my 62nd birthday. It was very nice. Got money, a (?) and dress. This morning Esther, Cliff and Billie left for Ohio for two weeks visit. Susan and kids finished moving into Esther’s.



Monday, August 7, 1972 Carmen to dentist, RAIN

This has been a very rainy day. I done up regular work. Bill worked at Jean’s. Carmen up here. Billie and Carmen went to Twitchell’s. Fern, Lloyd went to Portland with Betty. Zak and Kim went too. Billie took Carmen and me to town shopping. I went down, got 10 quarts of blueberries at Mrs. Harmon’s. Carmen to dentist. Billie got me a new pair of SHOES for my birthday. Pat back to hospital.


No comments:

Post a Comment