The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, September 5, 2019

May 21 - 23, 1972


Sunday, May 21, 1972

A dite cloudy this morning but it soon cleared and the sun came out and it was real hot. I washed, cleaned up the house thoroughly. I washed windows. Gave Kim a bath and shampoo. Kim went home after being here for four days and nights. Carmen played with Cathy Smith again today. Fern, Lloyd called. Also Billie Deming. Carmen and Zak up here. Jean and Stan called. Bill finished up at Helen Jones’s cottage. Betty and Walt mowed lawns for first time. Billie hauled manure for Gordon.



Monday, May 22, 1972 Back to School

I blend into the fence post!

Back to school after surgery

Zak and I


A beautiful day, hot. I did a little wash, done up housework. Down to Betty’s, we, Esther, Betty and I did dandelions greens for freezer. Billie to Norway, got garden seed and a couple pails for me. Bill worked at Gordon’s. Bill harrowed part of the garden. Down to Ferns after supper. Betty and Esther did Ferns light shades. Billie fixed cupboards and fixed a place for me to hang fry pans, put door screens on.
Nanny and Esther working on Dandelion Greens



Tuesday, May 23, 1972

Another nice sunny hot day. Got my work done up and went down to Betty’s. Esther, Fern, Betty and I cleaned the two bedrooms, two hallways, bathroom and living room at Betty’s. Esther to doctors for her regular check up. Cliff goes to the hospital May 31st. I got some more dandelions down to Betty’s. Came home, got supper.



No comments:

Post a Comment