The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, September 2, 2019

May 11 - 13, 1972




Thursday, May 11, 1972 JOY OPERATED ON TODAY, Frost

It was cold with a frost this morning. A partly cloudy day with cold winds. I washed and washed. I did some more in the kitchen. I had Kimberly and Zak today. I got up early and down to Betty’s a while to get Carmen off to school. Then brought both kids up here. Today Betty, Esther, Fern and Dorothea all went to Joy’s at Brunswick to give her a day’s work. Joy was operated on. Esther told us about Cliff’s report, not too good. It is likely to lead to cancer.



Friday, May 12, 1972

A nice day, sunny but on the cool side. I did rest of the kitchen. Betty went and done my grocery shopping. Kimmy up here today while Betty took Zak to Portland for his check up. The kitchen looks very nice. I’m so glad it is done. Bill worked. Kim got tired out very quickly. She is such a nice little girl.



Saturday, May 13, 1972

A real summer day, very hot. Carmen came up. She made a Mother’s Day cake for her mother. It looks very nice. I went to town. Bill worked most all day. Billie gone with Lawrence. Joy not feeling too good as yet. Kimmy sick tonight, not too good, very white and pale.



No comments:

Post a Comment