The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, May 24, 2019

May 5 - 8, 1971


Wednesday, May 5, 1971

A partly cloudy day. I worked in living room. Got it all clean except the rug. It seemed good to see the sun. I did a big wash, curtains etc. Bill worked at Walt’s. Betty came up, help me with the living room furniture. Bill did quite a lot at Walt’s.



Thursday, May 6, 1971

A very nice sunny day. I finished my living room. Aunt Ava’s birthday, she would’ve been 82. Esther and Cliff 33rd wedding anniversary. I went down to Betty’s, we cleaned the kitchen cupboards and draws. Fern helped her too. Bill done cement work, he did the apron on back of the barn and doorsteps. I ironed my living room curtains tonight to put away till fall. Esther, Cliff and Fern out to supper for Es and Cliff’s anniversary.





Friday, May 7, 1971

I cleaned down to Betty’s. She did her refrigerator, stove and closet. She went shopping. I came home, got supper and cleaned some more of my kitchen. Cleaned a mess of smelts. Ervin brought Bill’s last paycheck. Got some more bites on Aunt Ava’s house.



Saturday, May 8, 1971

A nice day. I cleaned up most of my kitchen. Billie worked for Lawrence fencing. Bill worked at Walt’s. Betty took the Brownie kids on their outing. Kim to a birthday party, Martha Coombs. Walt worked. Bill and I to town shopping after supper. I cooked rolls, beans and a cake.



No comments:

Post a Comment