The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, May 18, 2019

April 11 - 14, 1971 Kim's 5th Birthday


Sunday, April 11, 1971 Kim 5th birthday party

A nice day. I done up regular work. Got Easter dinner. Got ready about three to go down to Betty’s for Kim’s birthday. There were 29 people there. Kim had a good time, got a lot of gifts. About 29 people there.

Buddy, Cathy, Kennard, Cliff and Fern


Susan, Vince, Me, Cathy and Joy



Beautiful



Monday, April 12, 1971 Kim 5 years today, Delores 69 years today

Nice, warm sunny day. I washed. Betty and I to town. Kim to school. I got Bill’s fishing license. I cleaned the closet in my room. Betty and I took care of Kim’s birthday gifts.



Tuesday, April 13, 1971

Partly cloudy. Some sun. Went down to Betty’s. We got ready, went to Portland on some errands. Called at Dorothea’s. Joy was there. Esther went with us, we ate at Howdy Dowdy’s. Betty and I called at Esther’s  and Fern’s in evening. Kim up here for supper. I cleaned my bureau draws. I ironed.



Wednesday, April 14, 1971

I went down to Betty’s, she took Kim to school. I went with her. We did a few errands. Came home, I cleaned draws in the kitchen. Kim up in PM. Susan and Esther called.


No comments:

Post a Comment