The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, May 20, 2019

April 19 - 22, 1971


Monday, April 19, 1971

A beautiful day. I did a big wash, clothes dried good. I did a little cooking, picked up etc. Carmen went to North Windham with the Brownies today. She was quite tired when she got home. Betty and Walt came about 4:30, they had supper here. Also Pa, Walt’s father came up also. Betty and Walt had such a nice trip. Kim and Zak were pleased to get back home from Dorothea’s. Called on Fern in evening.






Tuesday, April 20, 1971

A pretty good day. I done some more washing. Then cleaned lower cupboards in the kitchen. Fern tired tonight after she got done cleaning.



Wednesday, April 21, 1971

On the cloudy cool side. To town with Betty. Then we came home. Betty helped me cleaned my cupboards. I got my pretty dishes Aunt Ava had in the cupboards. They look so nice. Over to Esther’s tonight to talk with Kennard, Fern and Robert about Aunt Ava’s place. Called at Fern’s later.



Thursday, April 22, 1971 Kim and Zak had shots today

A nice mild day, on the cool side. Then it clouded up. I looked after Zak and Kim for a while. Betty and Dawn took Dawn’s cat to Norway. I cleaned radiators in kitchen, ironed. Cleaned rest of kitchen cupboards. Down to Fern’s in evening. Jeff came up to Billie Deming’s tonight. Carmen came home from Dorothea’s after three days visit with her. She made her a nanny dress. Carmen, Kim and Betty came up.

Jeff and Carmen in Westbrook

No comments:

Post a Comment