The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, May 15, 2019

March 30 - April 2, 1971


Tuesday, March 30, 1971

Partly cloudy, on the cool windy side. I done up my work, down to Betty’s. She finished cleaning up that bedroom. I helped her take care of Zak and did some washing etc. In p.m. we took her cat and Fern went with us and her cat to Dr. Gauger for their rabies shots.



Wednesday, March 31, 1971

A beautiful day. We took Kim to school. Did a few errands then we came home. Looked her few things over she had left of Aunt Ava’s. I came home, did some odds and end jobs.



Thursday, April 1, 1971

A nice day. Done up my work. Betty brought Zak up and she took Carmen and Kim to the dentist. Also she had one filled. When she came home she spent the p.m. and we looked over some of Uncle Lewis’s papers etc.



Friday, April 2, 1971 Mama gone seven years at 1 PM today, Kim to Clinic

Up and got my work done. Down to Betty’s, got ready to take Kim to the clinic. Zak and I stayed at Dorothea’s. Had a nice visit with Dorothea. After Betty came back we went into the stores. Then came home. Esther and family came over tonight. Carmen went bowling with the scouts after school. Snow settled a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment