The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, May 23, 2019

May 1 - 4, 1971


Saturday, May 1, 1971 Carmen to hospital for asthma

Cleaned my bedroom. Another mixture of rain, clouds and fair weather. I did a big wash and I cleaned my bedroom and ironed. Es and Cliff over in evening. Bill worked at Walt’s. Billie finished fencing, took down the pig pen. Raked up.



Sunday, May 2, 1971

I got up about 8:30, had breakfast. Got ready and went down to help Betty. She washed and washed and cleaned the whole house because of Carmen’s asthma attack. Kim and Carmen both have colds. Lloyd hauled the old pigpen away. Cliff got the kindling hauled home. Billie finished cleaning up around pigpen. He bought two heifers of Lawrence.



Monday, May 3, 1971 Cattle came, Bill first day of retirement

RAIN. A very heavy rain all day long and it rained last night also. I went down to Betty’s to help Kimmy get to school. I came home about 11:30 after we went to town. Carmen better today. Zak and Betty have the cold now. I cleaned my kitchen furniture, moved out refrigerator and cleaned and then cleaned the stove drawer etc. Today was Bill’s first day of retirement. Couldn’t do anything. Gordon, Sal called tonight to spend the evening.



Tuesday, May 4, 1971

Partly cloudy, some rain. I worked at Betty’s most all day. We cleaned China closet. Mike called to see his daughters. They were glad to see him. The tie is there. I came home and cleaned my kitchen wood work.


No comments:

Post a Comment