The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, May 19, 2019

April 15 - 18, 1971


Thursday, April 15, 1971

I cleaned Billie’s closet, bureau draws today. A fair day, on the cool side. Dawn called at Betty’s today. They came up here for a little while. Carmen home of the toothache. Went to the dentist, had it out. Betty got a few spears of haircut off today.



Friday, April 16, 1971 Walt took exam today at Augusta

Down to Betty’s, helped her after she got Kimmy to school to make preparations for her and Walt’s trip. Then we went and got Kim. Stopped at Aunt Ava’s house a minute, picked up the pork jars etc. Came home, Kim stayed here. I cleaned the draws in my China closet unit. Es and Susan called in PM.



Saturday, April 17, 1971

A miserable day. It was partly fair in forenoon. I done up my work. Bill and I to town. Billie went with Lawrence looking for cattle. Carmen came home from school about 12:30. We cleaned kitchen draws. Betty and Walt got started at about 9:30 this morning for a few days of relaxation on a short trip. Es and family called after supper. Carmen and I looked at some snapshots.





Dorathea's house in Westbrook

Zak and Kim at Aunties




Sunday, April 18, 1971 snow gone a lot today

Cloudy and rain showers all day. Didn’t do much. Worked on scraps, done regular work. Billie went with Lawrence down country looking for cattle. Lloyd called this morning. Fern very lame he said. Carmen and I went down to her house to do chores. Fields got quite bare.


No comments:

Post a Comment