The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, May 3, 2019

February 10 - 13, 1971


Wednesday, February 10, 1971 $25

A nice day, not too cold. Fern, Es and I worked at Aunt Ava’s. We got things in from the shed. Cleaned dishes and articles for sale. Betty called for a minute. Called at Ferns in evening for a little while. Got paid $25.



Thursday, February 11, 1971

We worked at Aunt Ava’s again today. Es, Fern and I, we picked over things in the boxes. Cleaned up the living room, getting them ready to sell. We only worked until 2 PM. Lloyd was up there. I called at Esther’s while they got haircuts.



Friday, February 12, 1971

A nice sunny day. I went down to Betty’s, she took Kim to school. Then she went shopping. I helped her get her house cleaned up. Esther brought the contents of the safe-deposit boxes back from Lane’s office. When I came home, Betty and kids came too. We called at Sally’s to see about antiques. Kennard got his car to going today he got from Aunt Ava. Had scallops for supper.



Saturday, February 13, 1971

A cloudy messy day, rained hard at times. Billie Crook and Billie Deming ice fishing, each got a lot of nice smelts. Kim and Carmen up here today. Carmen took some pictures of Bill and I with the camera and Christie and Kim too. Betty, Walt and Zak up, all had supper here. The Deming’s called in evening. Bill and I called at Gordon’s.


No comments:

Post a Comment