The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, September 14, 2018

September 8 - 10, 1968


Sunday, September 8, 1968

A beautiful day. I got up about eight. Got the breakfast. Did up the work. Billie picked vegetables for Betty and Walt to takeback with them then went down country with Lawrence and picked up cattle. Betty and Walt over to Aunt Ava’s. Kids stayed here. Kim is real cunning. Carmen good. Fern, Lloyd called. Bill’s eye real bad today and nite. Lawrence brought a man up to look at Bill’s calf. He is going to take it. Betty and family left about 5:30 PM for home. Jim and Flora Graffam called.



Monday, September 9, 1968 Bill had eyes tested

Foggy in a.m. I did my housework (cleaned up), washed etc. Bill had his eyes tested today. Billie stomach still pains him. Dr. Seidel wants Bill to go to a MD if his eye isn’t any better in a few days. He got his eyes tested, he is getting glasses. He and I called at Jean’s in evening, took her some vegetables.



Tuesday, September 10, 1968

I done up my work. Then I did my ironing. Gladys Mowatt called to see if I knew where Minnie is. I called at Minnie’s. She still wasn’t at home. I did some desk work and made a cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment