The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

August 2 - 5, 1968


Friday, August 2, 1968

In early a.m. it rained, but it cleared off. Milan’s’s folks got up and got started for home at 8:30 AM. I went to work after that. Got home at 12:30. Cleaned up most of the house and did her washing. Got ready, went to town. Called at Ilan’s a minute on way home. Missing the kids and folks today.



Saturday, August 3, 1968 Oil 100 gal

A very nice hot day. I baked beans, a roast of pork. Billie and I to town, paid some bills, got some house paint. We had Cathy with us. I did a little cooking. Mrs. Drew called and paid me. Bill painted in evening. Fern up for supper. Billie picked a lot of cukes and a mess of peas off the new bed.



Sunday, August 4, 1968 HOT and Sunny

I didn’t get up until 11 AM. I got breakfast, done up the work, ironed, shelled peas. Got supper. Bill painted early this a.m. and in p.m. Billie picked cukes and down to Lawrence’s. Lloyd called in a.m.





Monday, August 5, 1968

Another nice day. I washed. Delores and Linda came up. Linda is a very nice well-trained girl. I wish all the kids were as well-trained as Carlton’s are. Very nice. Jeff came up tonight for a rest. Tonight Dave, Dorothea and Jeff came and had Fern. They brought a cake (birthday). They gave me a beautiful ring, stones representing the birthstones of each child. Billie, Dorothea and Betty.



No comments:

Post a Comment