The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, September 16, 2018

September 15 - 18, 1968




Saturday, September 15, 1968 Cow and Calf went

A beautiful day. Lawrence came and got the cow and calf early this morning. Billie cleaned up around then went with Lawrence. Bill and I went for a ride. We enjoy riding around together. Fern, Lloyd came up. I went down and got some plants with them to the cottage.



Monday, September 16, 1968 very nice day

Cool in early a.m. I did my wash. It’s came off very nice and mild and sunny. I made a pie (date filled). Joy called a little while. Later this evening Dennis called. Billie worked outside cleaning up the cow pen etc. Put the grain buckets away, salt brick etc. Cow killed, dressed 487.



Tuesday, September 17, 1968

Another very nice day, temperatures up to 65 and 70°. Sunny. I called Dorothea this morning. I done up my work, got a box of vegetables ready for Dorothea. I cleaned up the stove inside and out. Ironed. Betty called and talked. I cleaned Billie’s room good, the rugs I mean. Washed Kristie’s bed. Lloyd came up.



Wednesday, September 18, 1968 Bill got his glasses today

Another very nice day, very warm. I washed. I took care of Cathy today. Joy to Portland, called at Dorothea’s. I sent some vegetables down. The cow Billie killed this year dressed 487. He brought the heart and tongue home tonight. I took some liver to Ken and Fern and the heart and tongue. Bill has his glasses, he likes them very much. Norm and Barbara Stanford called this evening and Minnie.


No comments:

Post a Comment