The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

August 6 - 9, 1968 Nanny turns 58


Tuesday, August 6, 1968

I did Mrs. Dearborn’s washing. Jeff and Randy played together all day. Bill painted in evening. Billie picked cukes.



Wednesday, August 7, 1968 A fair day. Hot

A nice day. I ironed Mrs. Dearborn’s clothes. I picked a nice mess of peas. Billie’s calf don’t feel too good. Jeff and Randy played all day. Carlton’s folks came tonight to get Linda.



Thursday, August 8, 1968 58

It was a nice day, not too hot. I worked at Dorothy’s. I got a lot of cards today. I washed and ironed. Joy and girls came over. Joy brought me a box of chocolates and a pretty card for my birthday. I got cards from Dorothea and family, Betty and family, Lil and Chet, Fern and Lloyd, Esther and family, Milan and Betty, Dot and Joy. I got five dollars from Billie. Five dollars from Betty and Walt and a very pretty child ring from Dorothea and family. I like it very much. Jeff to the movies with Carlton’s folks tonight. Bill and I to town in evening. He mowed lawns tonight.



Friday, August 9, 1968

Fair in a.m. It was 70 to 80 temp. I got my housework done up. I left at 11 to go to the cottage to clean. Jeff stayed here, he went to the brook with Randy and Steve. Bill and I to town before supper and then after supper. Paid the Harrison insurance this week. We had heavy rain showers in late p.m., some thunder and lightning. Jeff went to town with us. I washed. Calf still not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment