The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

August 28 - 31, 1968


Wednesday, August 28, 1968

It is partly cloudy and cold. I did rest of Mrs. Dearborn’s washing and did hers and my ironing. Cooked a chicken for supper. Bobby Stanford called and Lloyd.



Thursday, August 29, 1968 Cold

A partly cloudy day, still on the cool side. I worked at Dorothy’s. Lloyd and Mark called. I came home, cleaned the house, made a pie. Got greens for supper. Out with Christie for a little while.







Friday, August 30, 1968

A nice day. I done up my work, got ready, went down and cleaned Mrs. Drew’s cottage. Came home, took a bath. Got ready, went to town. Did some shopping. In evening Wesley Gorman and family called. He wants Billie to go to the fair with him. Chris is real cute.



Saturday, August 31, 1968

A very nice day. I done up the work, very mild and sunny. Billie got ready to go to the Windsor Fair. He went with the Boynton’s. Bill and I had supper and went for a ride down through South Bridgton, Sebago, Naples etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment