The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, September 24, 2018

October 14 - 17, 1968 A Shock To The World!!


Monday, October 14, 1968

I went to town with Fern and Lloyd. Had to go to the bank. I came home. Finished my housework. It came off hot. Betty called and we talked, she had a good time over the weekend. Holly up here, a friend of Walt’s and his family. Also Dorothea and family. They all had such a good time. I did a one load of wash, well went dry.



Tuesday, October 15, 1968

 it was foggy early this morning. I worked at Dearborn’s cleaning up the house for the winter. It came off so awful hot. I came home and did some ironing. Well very low.



Wednesday, October 16, 1968 75 to 80° today

Another awful hot day. I had a salt fish and salt pork supper, very good. After supper Billie took me to town to do my washing. Fern went too. Water came into the well again. Christie and I called at Kennard’s, Helen Smart’s and Rita Moulton’s today.



Thursday, October 17, 1968 75 - 80 degrees today

HOT. I cleaned up the house, washed and waxed floors. Cooked a roast beef dinner. We had Jean up for supper. I put some screens back on some of the windows, it was so hot. Fern, Lloyd called. I did a big ironing. I made a custard pie today. Jackie Kennedy’s marriage announcement made today, a billionaire but he is a man at least 30 years older than she. A shock to the world. Bill and I took Jean home after supper.


No comments:

Post a Comment