The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

September 1 - 4, 1968 Carmen Begins School


Sunday, September 1, 1968

Another nice day. Didn’t get up too early. I got breakfast, done up the work. Bill worked outside. We had dinner and after he saw the game, we went for a ride. Dorothea and family here in evening.



Monday, September 2, 1968 Labor Day

A nice hot sunny day, 82°, dry and no rain. I did my wash. Fern and Lloyd called. Bill and I here alone Saturday and Sunday. Billie came home from the Fair last night or early this morning. Picked vegetables and did some odd and end jobs.



Tuesday, September 3, 1968

A nice day. Stanford boys called. I washed and ironed. I nice day. Got all my washing and ironing done. Busy all day. Bill and Billie back to work.




Wednesday, September 4, 1968 Carmen C Horton began school

A nice day. I done up my work, called at Barbara’s. They are changing the looks of things down there more ways than one. I talked with different ones on the phone. Carmen Christie Horton began school today at the Eastman School in East Concord, New Hampshire. Age 5 years. I thought of her all day. School began here in Bridgton today. A foggy day or forenoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment