The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, March 4, 2018

September 6 - 9, 1966 Jeff Begins School



Tuesday, September 6, 1966

Cloudy this morning. Dorothea took all my washing to the laundromat. There was such a big one. I didn’t want her to do it. Betty and children up. I had to go to town to get some groceries. Joy and girls called.



Wednesday, September 7, 1966 School begins JEFF

Today school began, and Jeff was here and went to school. Dorothea and I took them down. He entered the third grade, teacher Mrs. Gladys Fitton. Betty, kids and I went to Denmark, Hiram and Limerick just for a ride and picnic. Carmen enjoy it. Fern and Dorothea left this morning at about 10:30 for Houlton Maine for Dorothea to take the Civil Service exam.



Thursday, September 8, 1966

A beautiful day. Aunt Ava to the hospital. I went over and to stay with Uncle Lewis for a little while. Came home, Betty had washed for me. Dorothea and Fern arrived home about 10:30 PM. They had two very nice days and a very good time. Fern enjoyed it so much. Jeff had a nice day at school.



Friday, September 9, 1966

A nice beautiful day. I done up my regular work. I made a cake, got supper. Betty and children up. Dorothea down to Barbara’s. I got corn from the garden. Joy over today.

No comments:

Post a Comment