The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, March 8, 2018

September 22 - 25, 1966 Betty Begins New Job



Thursday, September 22, 1966 BETTY TO WORK

Cloudy most all day. I didn’t do much today. Joy over. Betty began work today for Dr. Gauger over to Norway. She liked it very much. She got through at about noon time. I called at Ferns in evening. Betty went to court with Holly. She got her divorce today. Betty applied for a divorce from Mike.



Friday, September 23, 1966

I done up my work. Betty home early today. I went to town in p.m. Joy and Lorraine called. Dorothea took her driver’s test but didn’t pass, something happen to the car.



Saturday, September 24, 1966

Cold, sunny. I done regular work. Carmen and Kim here. Bill and I over to Norway in PM. Betty and kids here for supper and Fern. No arguing or unpleasantness. Billie real grown-up acting and the two girls too. I wish it could be like that all the time. Billie cleaned up the garden. Jeff and Carmen helped.



Sunday, September 25, 1966 Cold

It has been a cold and windy day. Didn’t get up too early. Kim and Carmen, Kennie, Dot, Bob, Laurie and Debbie, Fern and Lloyd called. I went down to Betty’s in early evening a minute. Betty to the races. Dorothea and Jeff down to Barb’s in evening. Bill fixed Aunt Ava’s cellar drain. Billie done some of the fall work today.


No comments:

Post a Comment