The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

November 13 - 16, 1966 Kim Home From Hospital



Sunday, November 13, 1966 Storm windows

Clear, cold when we woke up this morning. The sun was shining. I got up, got breakfast, done up the work. Lloyd called this morning. Billie down and worked for Lawrence today. Bill, Dorothea and I washed all windows inside and out. Also the storm windows and put them on. Dave here for lunch. Bill and I out for a ride over to Denmark, up to Brownfield on to Fryeburg and home. Fern, Lloyd here. Kennie, Dot called. Dorothea, Jeff down to Barb’s tonight. No word from Kimberly. MIKE down to see Kimberly.



Monday, November 14, 1966 Pigs

A sunny day. I washed. Carmen here all day. Dave here for lunch. Dorothea down town and got some groceries. I did a dite of cooking, had a boiled ham supper. Jeff up to Randy’s after school. Betty had company. Billie back down to Lawrence’s after supper. He brought the pigs home. We wrapped it up in evening. Went down to Ferns. Dorothea out with David in evening.



Tuesday, November 15, 1966

A cloudy windy day, on the cold side. Done up regular work. Tried the lard out, had 15 pounds. Joy, Laurie, Lorraine and Wanda here. Dave here for lunch. I made pies. I done my ironing after supper. Dorothea down to Westbrook with Barbara after supper. Betty to Portland today. Kimberly is coming home tomorrow. Had liver for supper. Lloyd came up today.



Wednesday, November 16, 1966 Kim Came Home

I done my work. Cleaned bathroom and little hall. Got ready, Betty, Carmen and I to the MMC in Portland. She has got to go back January 17 for tests after taking her medicine for two months. She has to be watched very close. Came home, had a nice roast pork supper. Mike called Betty tonight. He has a girlfriend and is going in a fling this weekend. Some sunshine.


No comments:

Post a Comment