The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

October 12 - 15, 1966 SOLD THE FARM



Wednesday, October 12, 1966 SOLD FARM SOLD TODAY

Today we have sold his place. Mr. and Mrs. Norman Stanford from Somerville Massachusetts. These people called Sunday, the ninth to look at the house. I didn’t really think they would come back. They liked it very much. We will stay here this winter and then move next spring. Also Mr. Stanford’s mother and father came to see it. I hope they will like it as much as I always have and enjoy it as I have most of the time. It will always be home to me.



Thursday, October 13, 1966

A very cold night. A heavy frost this morning. A very beautiful clear day. One year ago today, Carmen seriously sick. Mike came back. Well I still don’t feel I’ve got to move from this house. Betty stayed up this p.m. and for supper. Dorothea up late. She went to town. Then she, Betty, kids and I called at Lorraine’s. It seems good about having a new home yet it don’t seem as though it is true. Hens debeaked tonight. Joy, Laurie, Fern, Lloyd, Rosalie here. Bill saw Gordon today.



Friday, October 14, 1966

Cloudy in a.m. Cleared in PM. I done up my work, checked over the huge amount of bills we have. We went down town to Betty’s, had lunch. Came home, Joy and Laurie here. Billie’s steer and heifer went tonight. Bill took me to town. Gordon and Sal called this evening. We talked about the house building. Dorothea and Jeff down to Barb’s, later Dorothea out with Dave.



Saturday, October 15, 1966 Steer dressed 680 lbs

A beautiful day. Kids up. Dorothea and Jeff gone to Santa Claus town with Dave Thomas. Fern up for supper. Betty to town shopping for herself and me. Fern up for supper and evening. Dorothea, Dave and Jeff home about 7:30.



No comments:

Post a Comment