The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, March 5, 2018

September 10 - 13, 1966



Saturday, September 10, 1966 HOT, MIKE IN JAIL

A very nice day. I got my work done early. Dorothea made some donuts. I made a pie, rolls and baked some beans. When Bill came home at 11, he and I went right over to the bank at Norway to see about this trailer. According to what the manager said, Sammy Knight will get the trailer. Came home, picked Betty and girls up. Betty and I back down town, did a dite of shopping. Betty got a note from Alice. MIKE is in jail for nonsupport.



Sunday, September 11, 1966

A beautiful day, on the cool and some wind side. We done up our work. Betty and kids up. Dorothea washed up at the trailer. Also Betty did hers up there. We made and packed some sandwiches. Billie, Dorothea, Betty, Jeff, Carmen and I all went over to Lovell to Howard Allen’s to order some dry RK beans, on over to East Stoneham and on up to Bartlett Borough and ordered our pullets. Had a picnic. Bill stayed at home with Kimberly. Kennie and Dot here.



Monday, September 12, 1966

A beautiful day. I did a dite of washing. Betty and children up here today. Dorothea done my hair and Ferns. Betty did my ironing. A beautiful day.



Tuesday, September 13, 1966 Killed the hens

A beautiful day. On the foggy side early. Got up early, got ready and went to Kittery with Thena. Fern went too. We had a most enjoyable day. Had a nice dinner. In p.m. took a ride to Kittery Point, York Village and to York Harbor. Very pretty ride. We got home about six. Billie and I killed six hens. Dorothea had company. Joy, Betty and Lorraine.

No comments:

Post a Comment