The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, March 12, 2018

October 8 - 11, 1966



Saturday, October 8, 1966

Very mild. A nice day, warm. Doors all open. I baked beans. Betty better, she was up here for supper. Also Fern. Betty didn’t work, she is sick, very sick last night with a sore throat. Strep throat the Dr. said. I went down to Betty’s last night.



Sunday, October 9, 1966

Mild. Up about 7:30. Kimberly slept good last night. Dorothea and Jeff to the dog show. Betty to the car races. I had to Boutilier girls all day. Down to Betty’s after supper to wait for her to come home. Dot, Kennie called today. Also a man and his wife were here and looked at the house. I wish they would buy it. I have taken Kimberly home tonight. Bill fixed the FURNACE.



Monday, October 10, 1966

Cloudy with heavy rain showers in PM. A very heavy one at suppertime. Washed today. Dorothea took some downtown to dry. Dorothea to school to see Jeff’s teacher. He got his haircut. Bill and I up to Waterford to see a Mr. Richardson about the trailer. No sale.


Tuesday, October 11, 1966

A cloudy day after a rainy day yesterday . I cooked a dite. Dorothea down to Lorraine’s and helped her fix couch. The boy from Limerick called about the trailer. I sure hope he takes it. Bill and I called at Ferns. While we were gone the man called that was here Sunday to see if the house had been sold. I can’t believe he is really interested. He is coming to see Bill tomorrow. They may buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment