The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

November 9 - 12, 1966





Wednesday, November 9, 1966

Cloudy and showers. Betty called the hospital and Kimberly’s doctor. She has heart trouble and one lung is infection. She was resting quite comfortably he said. I hope she will be okay soon. I cleaned my kitchen, washed, ironed. Dorothea about sick tonight when she came home from work. She is getting through. Got sick down there today.



Thursday, November 10, 1966

Another rainy day. It cleared a little in PM. In the evening it began to rain again. I done up my regular work. In p.m. Betty and I went to Portland to see Kimberly. She looked so good to us. She was okay. Came home. Betty and Carmen went home. I got supper. Ken and Delores called. Jeff up to play with Randy Smart. Dorothea and David to Westbrook to see about a job for Dave. Called at Portland to see Kim. Called at their apartment.



Friday, November 11, 1966 Pigs went

At last it cleared off. Bill didn’t have to work. Betty didn’t work. She is sick. Carmen sick. Kim still in the hospital. Dorothea, Jeff and I also Dolores all went down to Dorothea’s new apartment. It is beautiful. It was a beautiful day. Joy and girls here. Dave Thomas here for dinner and supper. Betty and Carmen here for supper. Carmen and Betty not good. Dorothea and Joy up to Waterford and got some apples. Dorothea and Jeff down to Barb’s after supper. Pigs gone tonight. Buddy came.



Saturday, November 12, 1966 Kimberly, Beans

Another cloudy rainy miserable day. Betty called. Carmen is sick. I went down to stay with Carmen while Betty worked. In p.m. Bill, Betty and I down to the Maine Medical in Portland to see Kimberly. She looked like a doll. Her heart isn’t too good. We have hopes she won’t need an operation. She is like an angel. We called in to see Dorothea’s new apartment on our way home. My beans came today. Dorothea stayed with Carmen while we were away. Joy called in her new car.

No comments:

Post a Comment