The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, March 17, 2018

October 28 - 31, 1966



Friday, October 28, 1966

Another one of those beautiful days. Very nice and mild. I washed. Joy called. Betty worked a little later today. In p.m. Dorothea, Joy, Carmen and Laurie went to Fryeburg. Came home, did a dite of shopping in Bridgton. Came home, got supper. Dave here at noon. He took Dorothea’s car back to fix speedometer. She used his car, got into the ditch. Dorothea and Jeff down to Barb’s. Bill took me to town to get groceries.



Saturday, October 29, 1966

A nice day, on the cold side. Real windy. Billie brought the fore quarter of beef home tonight. He worked for Lawrence. Betty and children here. Betty took Jeff and Carmen to the parade. B.H.S. Fern up for supper. Bill took me to town in p.m. We called at Lloyd’s.



Sunday, October 30, 1966

Cold and windy. Got up about 8 AM, back on our standard time. Carmen up here today. Lloyd called. Kennard called. Kennie, Dot here. Fern and Lloyd called. Done just regular work. Dave called in p.m. Had a lunch. Billie worked part of the day for Lawrence. Dorothea, Bill and I took a ride in evening up over Ridge and to town and got some cokes.


Monday, October 31, 1966 Permanent

Very cold in a.m. It began to warm up in PM. I went to June’s and got my permanent. Dorothea took my clothes downtown and washed them. I called at Ferns in evening, in p.m. I was at Betty’s. She went to see about her car. In evening Bill and I went down and stayed with Kim while Betty took Carmen out. Dorothea and Jeff out with Barb and Wesley. Jeff lost his guinea pig.

No comments:

Post a Comment