The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

December 7 - 10, 1966



Wednesday, December 7, 1966

Very cold. Very icy roads this morning. Betty got to work but she is sick. I had the kids all day. Dorothea took Dot Smith to Portland today for x-rays. Bill worked for a couple of hours overtime tonight. Billie had a flat tire. Cloudy and rainy all day. A MISERABLE day.              



Thursday, December 8, 1966

Not so cold. Raining since last night. The roads are freezing some. Betty sick and not to work. Dorothea and Dave gone away to do Dave’s Christmas shopping. Carmen came up here with Fern and Lloyd.



Friday, December 9, 1966

Foggy but it burned off in the p.m. I done up my work. Dorothea over to Joys and Lorraine’s. They made corn balls. Betty worked today. I had the kids up. She was here this p.m. and took care of some of her things upstairs. Bill had to go back to work tonight after supper. Worked in garage. Billie took me to town. Dorothea and Jeff down to the apartment this weekend.          



Saturday, December 10, 1966

A very nice mild day. Betty up with the kids and off to work. After she got home she called me and she had got a $80 check for Mike. It done her good to get her pressing bills taken care of. It gave me Christmas spirit too.


No comments:

Post a Comment